RE: Internet Security Day

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 04:57:21 -0800

Hi Shelly, Hansley, Nadim,
At 08:39 AM 2/9/2016, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:
>I have never heard or come across about the word Ransomware
>(Ramsomware- I think there is a typo mistake on the article).

There is a typo for "ransomware".

>So what if I come across such kind of problem? Do I contact the
>CCID? Because from what I read on the article, they don't seem to
>solve the issue but make fun of it. :)

I suggest filing a complaint with the police.

At 09:06 AM 2/9/2016, Hansley Chadee wrote:
>But, you have to understand the CCID, if it impossible to get the
>keys back and find these criminals and prosecuting them, is, well
>extremely challenging.

I understand that it can be a challenge to investigate this type of
crime. Would it deter a person from committing such an crime if the
person is not prosecuted in a court of law?

At 05:44 AM 2/9/2016, Nadim Bundhoo wrote:
>I don't think it was good advice, simply because the officials in
>the bank don't have genuine information on those who are receiving
>the money, do they? So I feel they acted

Ajay also commented about this.

>But if the officials wanted to say that sending money through
>Moneygram (or Western Union), the service is safe, then they should
>also tell the senders that it is the responsibility of the sender to
>verify whether the recipients are genuine or not, before making the
>transfer. In this case the public needs to be educated. Who has the
>responsibility to educate the public? It is any government agency / department?

It seems appropriate for a government agency responsible for
financial issues as such an agency would be aware of the problems and
how to solve them.

>Apart from transferring money though services where tracing the
>money trail is difficult, I would also like to add that there were,
>some years ago, fraudulent payment gateway providers. I don't know
>whether they are still here, or new ones are operating here. For

I was not aware of this. Thanks for providing information about it.