Re: A common level of understanding

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 03:38:36 -0800

Hi Sandeep,
At 01:37 07-02-2016, Sun wrote:
>This is an interesting comment. Would it also be true if a person
>overestimates his/her level of expertise, and that person be offered
>a higher salary? In my opinion, both these statements are correct.
>It's also true however that, when the person is actually employed to
>do the job, over-selling his expertise might play against him, which
>may result into a loss of employment.

As you mentioned, over-selling your expertise will result in
unemployment. There's a job description. The salary range is
usually based on that. For example, there is a web developer job
with a salary range between Rs 20,000 to Rs 40,000. Do you want to
be paid Rs 40,000 to maintain spaghetti code? :-)

>I think it is harder though, for someone who undervalued his/her own
>expertise at the beginning to get a 'quick promotion' if the latter
>proves himself/herself much better during the course of work.

One issue is that a prospective employer seeking an employee with
expertise won't be able to find that person. Another issue is that
another person might get promoted as that person did not "market"
himself/herself.

>It is hence important to have a reasonable estimate of one's own
>level. Something that has been scientifically proven[1] to be : not
>so easy a task.
>
>The Dunning-Kruger Effect

[snip]

>This is something I discovered in the gaming umwelt, and I find it
>very relevant to this particular conversation.

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/confident-idiots-92793

It's useful to get advice as it reduces some of the bias. For
example, the conversation which you and I had was useful. :-)

>While this is true, it is not always easy for someone to come across
>a 'mentor'. I would say it depends on luck. A more appropriate way
>for someone to reach their true potential is through correct
>policies and facilities provided by their country. Do the
>authorities recognize and reward all kind of talents?

I agree that it is not easy to come across a mentor. I gather that
you are asking whether the government recognizes and rewards talent
in the information technology sector. After reading the today's
newspapers I prefer not comment about that. If it is part of a
company's policy to facilitate the personal development of the
employee, he/she may be able to reach his/her true potential. My
guess is that some people with expertise and experience leave the
island because of the "imported" expertise issue. That negatively
affects the (local) talent pool.