Re: Startup scene in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:32:06 +0400

Hi Vincent,

On 12/28/2015 03:56 PM, vincent pollet wrote:

> I can assure you that ict.io <http://ict.io> is covering business that a
> generating revenus not only clever ideas.

I am not a pessimist, so I'd keep some hope as you say :)

> Just look at e-commerce billboards war all over the island :
> mari-deal.mu <http://mari-deal.mu> Vs Deals.mu was one of our articles,
> do you know the price of such marketing campaigns ? I can tell you for
> sure that those companies are expecting a ROI

Marideal.mu is a useful website, but nevertheless, I cannot comment on
its success as I have not seen its financial reports. Billboards are not
synonymous to "profitable companies". Recently on my way to work I would
see the billboard of an ISP which would struggle to exist on the market.
It's a similar situation like marideal.mu vs deals.mu. ISPs are fighting
for a market share in Mauritius, but not everyone benefits in a
profitable way. Why? Think about the market size.

> Regarding the market size you can double it easily if you just top up
> the tourists visiting the island every year and I personally think that
> there is a real potential for regional market which represent a more...
> larger market.

If you have an idea that involves tourists, then yes, you would have a
larger audience.

> I understand that in the past there has been some failures and downturn,
> I was also at Ebene Accelerator you know ...

Yes. I know you've been at the Ebène Accelerator. In fact, I thought you
still were until I read "was also" ;-)

> But I have to say ongoing projects looks really exciting and
> interesting because you have now some investors that will fuel local
> projects !

I keep fingers crossed then.

> I can tell ! you know that ict.io <http://ict.io> was recently funded
> and we are not the only startup in this situation.

That's a good thing. You should make effective use. I once presented a
project to a panel of "potential investors" at the accelerator. It was
an awful experience because none of them grasped the "start-up culture"
and the requirement of seed money.

> Be positive things are changing and has suyash said it is going in the
> right direction.

I am. I sincerely hope there is some change in the recent future.

Cheers,

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers
for lexpress.mu.