Re: Startup scene in Mauritius

From: Stephen Naicken <stephennaicken_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 00:31:57 +0400

Hello all,

On 28 December 2015 at 14:38, vincent pollet <hello_at_ict.io> wrote:

> With the ecosystem structuring itself with incubators, private companies /
> Capital investors promoting entrepreneurs and a real political ambition to
> create an thriving environnement for startups it will not be surprising to
> see things changing in 2016.

​Well, I certainly hope this is a different type of "political ambition" to
the Cyber Island ambition that was espoused by government and press in the
early 2000s. The one where large multinationals such as IBM, HP, TCS and
Infosys would heavily invest in the Cyber City.

Whilst I don't believe that Mauritius will be able to compete with the
startup hubs of Nairobi and Cape Town any time soon, I think that maturing
African startups can be tempted to relocate to Mauritius due to the
favourable financial and political conditions. Kenyan startup,
SleepOut.com did this [1] and perhaps others may do so in the future?.

Generally, I agree with many of the point across this thread, but I'll add
this to the mixer too. When I look at successful startup hubs in developed
nations, I see something in common, the presence of Universities and R&D
labs - e.g. Cambridge, Singapore, Silicon Valley. The University of
Mauritius is not comparable to NUS or Cambridge Univ, but Government should
be doing more to help it play its role in creating talented individuals and
fostering an open, collaborative environment for the exchange of ideas.
Above all, it is the only actor in Mauritius that could turn novel,
academic research into truly innovative startups.

Of course, my background perhaps leads to a bias view that the government
needs to harness the R&D from Universities and private entities. I have
worked on an academic research project that was spun-off to become a
startup. I would certainly encourage those looking to start-up or
starting-up. I found it an interesting experience and I'd expect others
would too.

On market size, the Mauritian market is small, but the African market
should be the long-term driver for startup growth. In my opinion, the
trouble is that many Mauritians are generally more exposed to Europe and
India than to Africa, so there is a lack of understanding of the culture
and market.

​Regards,

​Dr. Stephen Naicken.

[1]