Re: Startup scene in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 04:58:34 -0800

Hi Sten, Rajnish, Ish, Vincent, Suyash,
At 02:26 28-12-2015, Sten Tamkivi wrote:
>Thanks you so much for reaching back out to my twitter inquiries, S!

Sten, I hope that your family and you are
visiting the beaches and enjoying the vacation. :-)

I am copying this message to the Chief Technical
Officer of the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation. I'll comment below.

>As a quick way of introduction, I'm a co-founder
>and CEO of <https://teleport.org>Teleport, a
>startup where we build software for people to
>move to their best place to live and work.
>In my past 15 years as a software entrepreneur,
>I have also served for 8 years as an early
>executive at Skype, entrepreneur in residence at
>Andreessen Horowitz, advisor to President Ilves
>of Estonia on the topics of innovation and entrepreneurship, etc.

I work as a consultant for Eland Systems. I am a
subject-matter expert for email, web and a few
other internet-related technologies. I also do
research related to security and privacy.

>When I travel to new places, I always try to get
>somehow in touch with the local startup scene.
>As it happens I am in Mauritius now, on holidays
>with my family. As this trip was quite rapidly
>planned and I understand it is the middle of the
>summer, I don't have too high hopes, but
>nevertheless — if anyone knows oof any upcoming
>tech gatherings or would like to set up a meetup
>with even a few of the local budding
>entrepreneurs/angels, let me know. If lack of
>inspiration and network are the local issues,
>very happy to talk about those. Estonia is the
>size of Mauritus by population, and we had
>virtually no startup scene until about 10 years
>ago - and it is now bustling with 400 companies.
>So cool things can happen in small, faraway places.
>
>I'm around until Jan 5th.

People are enjoying the end of the year
season. It is going to be difficult to organise
something before the 5th January 2016. I like
what you wrote about cool things can happen in
small, faraway places. Would you be interested
in sharing your experience of the startup scene
in Estonia in a panel discussion? The Ministry
of Technology, Communication and Innovation could
send an official to represent it on the panel if
the Ministry is interested in fostering
entrepreneurship or innovation. There would have
to be some local persons interested in
startups. I can ask the local press whether it
would be interested in hosting the event. I am
not sure whether there will be sufficient time to reach out to local angels.

Is the above worth a try?