Re: Internet Service Provider quality of service

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:02:56 -0800

Dear Mr Velvindron, Mr Sookun,

I am writing to you as you are members of the ICT Advisory
Council. I am copying this message to the Mauritius Internet Users
to avoid any gossip.

At 07:31 19-12-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>I believe that such as project would require investment. The best way I
>can think of, is to ask if a budget has been allocated for this.
>
>For example, We could look into deploying RIPE ATLAS probes into several
>regions. This would increase the dataset, and we could infer better.
>
>I believe that focusing entirely on speed is wrong. (I've proved it
>several times with Bufferbloat -- See the MIU mail archieves).
>
>So the ICT ministry needs to test for:

[snip]

> From what I have seen so far, I see little indication. Perhaps the
>ministry can at least produce a design document ? I wish Freedom of
>Information Act would come :)

According to Section 35 of the Information and Communication
Technologies Act 2001, you advise the Minister on any matter relating
to the quality and variety of information and communication services
including telecommunication services provided. Have you provided any
advice about what the "ICT ministry needs to test for" in respect to
an internet connection (in Mauritius)? If so, could you please
provide a reference so that the information can be verified? Could
you also provide information about what happened, for example, was
there any action taken?

I would also like to ask you whether you have discussed about Freedom
of Information (as a member of the ICT Advisory Council) with
government officers. Could you please provide me with information
about the officers with whom you discussed about Freedom of
Information so that I can file a request for information if there is
ever a (local) law which allows me to do that?