RE: Email problems with govmu.org

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 02:56:43 -0800

Dear Mr Mulloo,

Thank you for the explanation. I'll comment about your
reply. Before getting to that I'll mention the following about email
disclaimers: http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/govmu-org-email-disclaimer.html

I understand the difficulties in getting email users to follow an
email usage policy. At the same time, it is a problem for me when I
repeatedly encounter email delivery failures on contacting a
government department by email. If I am not mistaken, the
mtci_at_govmu.org mailbox was full for over a week. I do not disagree
with you about it being the responsibility of the designated
administrators of that mailbox to maintain the mailbox.

I would like to suggest publishing statistics about daily email
delivery failures for each government department as Open Government
Data. That could help in addressing the responsibility problem.

The information for the "gov.mu" domain name is as follows:

   Registrant Name: Internet Direct Ltd.
   Registrant Organization:
   Registrant Street: 48 Remy Ollier Street
   Registrant City: Port-Louis
   Registrant State/Province:
   Registrant Postal Code:
   Registrant Country: MU

According to the above, neither the National Computer Board nor the
Government of Mauritius has administrative control over the "gov.mu"
domain name. If the National Computer Board wishes to dispute that
it would have to take the following into account:
http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/mu-cctld-jurisdiction.html From a
technical point of view, it might be better to follow the practice of
not using a domain name which is registered to another entity even if
it is for a "local name".

I'll resend the email to the consumerpu_at_govmu.org account. I'll copy
a message to the postmaster if I encounter an email delivery failure.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that the Government Online Centre
operates a postmaster email address for email delivery issues.