Re: Open Source Software Policy in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:32:49 +0400

Hello SM,

On 11/18/2015 01:26 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> The Chairperson of the ICT Advisory Council is also part of the Linux
> User Group. There are also two other members of the Linux User Group on
> the Advisory Council. Why hope that Open Source will happen soon when
> you are, on paper, in a position to make it happen soon?

You mentioned it well, *on paper*, while in practice it is different. On
1 July 2015 you wrote [1] to the Ministry of Technology, Communication &
Innovation requesting the names of all ten members of the ICT Advisory
Council. Did you receive a reply?

> Nothing has been achieved since the workshop in June 2014 as none of the
> members of the Linux User Group showed interest in the topic. The
> problem might be that the persons in the group do not have the knowledge
> to deal with policy questions. The ICT Advisory Council seems okay with
> the current archaic practices.

If members of LUGM understood policies and could navigate through rough
waters of political administration, then the official name would be
Linux User Group of Mauritius and not Linux User Group Meta.

I am not okay with the archaic practices of the council.

> Was the topic of Open Source discussed at
> https://twitter.com/oalais/status/546731966041952256

Olivier Alais was one of the consultants hired by the Ministry of
Technology, Communication & Innovation to draft an Open Source Software
Policy for Mauritius. I wrote to the National Computer Board on 27 May
2015 asking a status about the Open Source Software Policy. I quote part
of the reply:

        "Further to your email dated the 27th May 2015, we would like to inform
you that the Open Source Strategy Plan has already mentioned the Linux
User Group of Mauritius as one of the members of the implementation
working groups. Currently an implementation plan for OSS is being
finalised at the level of the parent ministry and we shall contact you
in due course."

I was not contacted again.

The topic of Open Source Software Policy resurfaced at the ICT Advisory
Council in June 2015. I expressed an interest to participate further in
discussions related to policy work on OSS in Mauritius. I never received
an invitation.

[1]
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/07/2738.html

- Geek by birth, Linux by choice