Re: Anonymous vs Cloudflare

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 01:43:38 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 01:01 18-11-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I would term that as censorship if the content
>isn't illegal according to the country's laws.

I read
http://hacklog.mu/internet-censorship-in-mauritius/
It refers to a news article in which there is:

   "It has been reported to the Icta that the above mentionned website is
    currently hosting contents of diffamatory nature. Les 12 détenteurs
    locaux d'une licence de Fournisseur accès Internet n'ont d'autre choix
    que d'exécuter l'ordre."

Has any company holding an ISP license ever
objected to the removal of content or do those
companies follow directives from the ICTA without asking any questions?

A censor is an "official who examines books,
films, news, etc. that are about to be published
and suppresses any parts that are considered
obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to
security". Isn't the ICTA acting as a censor by
deciding about the content that should be removed?

On 11/18/2015 01:01 PM, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Proving the harmful nature of some content would require a proper
>analysis, measurement etc, which in my opinion could still be refuted in
>court if the person presenting the information does *NOT* satisfy criteria as
>set by the judge.

In the message at
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/10/3945.html
you commented that: "The answer you provided is
one without any evaluation from the Consumer
Protection Unit". It is very rare to see anyone
in Mauritius writing an analysis. The local
approach is to say that something is harmful and
either not providing any reason or copying and pasting something from the web.