Re: Open Source Software Policy in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 13:26:38 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 11:07 17-11-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Yesterday, the Chairman of the ICT Advisory Council tweeted [1]
>about India adopting an open Source Policy. It is wished that
>Mauritius follows the trend. Yes, Mauritius is trendy country that
>only follows others. (^^,)

The Chairperson of the ICT Advisory Council is also part of the Linux
User Group. There are also two other members of the Linux User Group
on the Advisory Council. Why hope that Open Source will happen soon
when you are, on paper, in a position to make it happen soon?

>In the matter of the Open Source Software Policy, the subject has
>been under discussion since 2014. A year passed and nothing has been
>achieved. Why? Should I blame the Linux User Group of Mauritius for
>being lethargic, should I blame for ICT Advisory Council for going
>along with the bureaucratic culture, should I blame local
>universities for not showing interest...? I don't know.
>
>We have age old practices in institutions and not many are helping
>to break the practice. :-(

Nothing has been achieved since the workshop in June 2014 as none of
the members of the Linux User Group showed interest in the
topic. The problem might be that the persons in the group do not
have the knowledge to deal with policy questions. The ICT Advisory
Council seems okay with the current archaic practices.

Was the topic of Open Source discussed at
https://twitter.com/oalais/status/546731966041952256