Cybercrime on Facebook in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 22:46:04 +0400

Dear Mr Phokeer,

I read an analysis [1] written by S. Moonesamy in which he mentions the
following:

        "It is unlikely that the proposal, if it becomes law, will help to
increase the conviction rate if the cases are not based on scientific
evidence."

As a member of the ICT Advisory Council, I am asking whether the
Ministry of Technology, Communication & Innovation has a list of all the
government requests made to:

1. Facebook
2. Orange/Mauritius Telecom
3. Emtel

In six years, the Cyber Crime Unit received 548 complaints and there
were 4 convictions. That leads me to question whether the investigation
methods are suitable for a country where we have a Ministry that talks
about Technology & Innovation, a National Computer Board for promoting
the development of ICT in Mauritius and CERT-MU which is not even
legally mandated to investigate IT Security issues.

I tend to believe that investigation is more about getting confessions
rather than evidence.

Mutual legal assistance with the State of California was mentioned in
October 2015. How long will it take obtain information from Facebook?
Will the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Innovation publish
information about the "mutual legal assistance" so that public may
understand it?

[1] http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/cybercrime-facebook-mauritius.html

- Geek by birth, Linux by choice
- I blog at HACKLOG.mu