Re: Public information

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 22:09:14 +0400

Hi Logan, SM,

On 11/14/2015 04:47 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> At 11:56 13-11-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>> I mentioned how Mauritius went from being a country which tried to
>> outlawed the first wifi, to being a country where we are trying to
>> deploy (good ?) wifi everywhere.

I do not recall of an event where Mauritius (whether you mean Government
of Mauritius) tried to outlaw WiFi. Please backup this claim with proper
reference.

The WiFi everywhere comment is not entirely correct. The actual project
is to provide internet accessibility.

> The above is gossip. It is not possible to verify whether what you said
> is true.

I agree with you SM.

> It is better to rely on public information so that anyone can verify
> whether the information is true.

Yes, I agree.

> There is an message from Shelly at
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/10/3797.html
> in which she asked the Chairperson of the ICT Advisory Council to
> provide some information. Given that the Chairperson did not provide
> any information, it is likely that the persons on that Advisory Council,
> excluding one of them, are not doing any research.

Again I agree that it is difficult to measure someone's work if the same
is not visible to public.

_at_Shelly, did the Chairman of the ICT Advisory Council reply you?

> I have attended a few government-sponsored workshops where people talk
> about the internet. There wasn't any WiFi access available at any of
> those events.

Indeed, I could not get a free WiFi while I attended the Cyber Security
Conference [1] by the National Computer Board. In fact, the person who
set up the WiFi misspelled the word "surveillance". (^^,)

I neither got a free WiFi when I attended the World Telecommunication &
Information Society Day [2] which again was organized by the National
Computer Board.

Maybe the National Computer Board has trouble providing free WiFi during
conferences.

> During an interview, Bruno Mettling, directeur des ressources humaines,
> Orange, was asked the following question (
> http://www.lexpress.mu/article/269997/bruno-mettling-directeur-ressources-humaines-cest-normal-que-mauritius-telecom-prenne
> ): "La connexion Internet dans votre hôtel est-elle aussi paradisiaque
> ?" Mr Mettling gave an answer which was unrelated to the question. The
> reporter asked another question: "Ça vous désolerait-il de savoir que
> Michael Porter, le gourou du management et du leadership, s’est plaint
> de la lenteur de la connexion à Maurice? C’est la première, sinon la
> seule, chose dont il s’est plaint".

It seems the Head of Human Resources of Orange has some trouble to pick
the sarcasm in the question. (/_-)

At the second question, it is obvious and clear that he is evading the
issue of "slow internet" and rather talking about massive investments.
To me any massive investment will value to peanut if it does not solve
the problem of "slow internet" in Mauritius. Now, did it solve the
problem? We're in 2015, I pay Rs 949 for 1Mbps and Orange says I will be
eligible for La Fibre in 2018. :-)

> What is the use of providing information if the information cannot be
> verified?

Precisely, Logan, this line applies perfectly to your recent blog posts
and social network updates to some extent. What is the use of publishing
some claim, if nobody can go verify the same? I'd say the information is
of no value.

Blogger tip: Please provide proper references and backlinks in your blog
articles.

[1] http://hacklog.mu/mauritius-cyber-security-conference/
[2] http://hacklog.mu/world-telecommunication-information-society-day-2015/