Re: Cybercrime on Facebook in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 00:14:28 -0800

Dear Mr Phokeer, Mr Sookun,

I'll comment below.

At 10:46 17-11-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>In six years, the Cyber Crime Unit received 548 complaints and there
>were 4 convictions. That leads me to question whether the
>investigation methods are suitable for a country where we have a
>Ministry that talks about Technology & Innovation, a National
>Computer Board for promoting the development of ICT in Mauritius and
>CERT-MU which is not even legally mandated to investigate IT Security issues.

Since 2009, 44% of the complaints did not result in any action due to
lack of evidence or because there wasn't any suspect. There hasn't
been any significant decrease or increase in the number of offences
under the Information and Communication Technologies Act over the
last four years.

There is a lack of information about "cybercrime" offences. Could
the Ministry please publish some guidance so that parents in
Mauritius can find out what to do if their children are victims of cybercrime?

>Mutual legal assistance with the State of California was mentioned
>in October 2015. How long will it take obtain information from
>Facebook? Will the Ministry of Technology, Communication and
>Innovation publish information about the "mutual legal assistance"
>so that public may understand it?

A Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty is a treaty signed between two
states. Is "State of California" in the above correct?