Re: News web sites

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:49:21 -0800

Hi Sandeep,
At 11:57 10-11-2015, Sun wrote:
>I will not comment about the speed of the competing news agency
>website. I can however say that the current lexpress.mu has not been
>fully optimized yet, which means that it can only get better in
>terms of page load speed.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll comment about the web site as it is
now. There was 290 requests during 19.04 seconds to load 27,258
KB. The data size is too much. The load time should be less than
that. There were two bad requests to disqus.com.

There is a blank space (square) on the right of the first news
item. That looks like a layout bug. The ads on the web page are
annoying as there are not relevant at all. Some of the ads looks
like cheap ads which one would not usually find on the front page of
a news web site. I saw two advertisements on The Guardian. There
were five advertisements on the web site.

The search feature in the menu does not work. Clicking on the
Facebook or Twitter icons for a news article pops up two browser
windows. The top menu does not fold in as expected. The layout
does not provide a good user experience; scanning the web page is
confusing. The web page looks like a lot of ideas added together
without an understanding of how that affects the user experience.

The same news items and photos was published twice (23:57 and
00:58). It took 3.56 seconds to load a 102.97 KB image; the image
does not appear instantly. In my opinion, the integration of video
and audio on the web page is not that good. The "Idees" looks like a
miscellaneous section. After taking a look at other web pages on the
web site my question would be whether the web site was designed as an
image gallery with blocks of text.