Re: Introduction (was: subscribe)

From: Daniel Shaw <daniel_at_afrinic.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:55:40 +0400

> On Oct 24, 2015, at 9:04 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
>

> The person who used an _at_hotmail.com email address does not work for an internet-related company.

While I do work for an internet-related organisation, my interest in contributing to your list is in my personal capacity as a long-time internet user, and specifically as an internet user in the Mauritian internet eco-system.

I belive I have value to offer in that regard, so I am somewhat disappointed that I am prohibited from doing so, just because of my employment. Whereas someone who does not work for an organisation similar to the one I do can participate in their own capacity.

That is hardly fair.

> If the _at_gmail.com is a reference to Logan, he does not claim that whatever he writes does not represent the views of AfriNIC. I am copying this message to Logan so that he can comment about that. I'll suggest that Logan subscribes from a business email address.

I would suggest that he does not, as he is not authorised by AFRINIC (to the best of my knowledge) to represent the views of the organisation in a public forum. So really, whatever he writes *can* only be his personal views.

But my point is that other readers may not realise that. Forcing the use of business addresses, with no further information can put all users of the list at risk of inadvertently mis-reprenting their organisations.

A simple way around this is an intro template that you send out to each new subscriber when they subscribe that makes it clear that neither them nor anyone else already on the list write representing any organisation or employer, unless they specifically state in a post that they are.

In other words a disclaimer for the list and all it’s participants in general that is widely circulated, I think, would be an acceptable solution.