Re: Mauritius Telecom and Emtel peering at MIXP

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 04:43:34 -0700

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate that you are assisting
during your free time to do this work.

I see the value of "open and neutral". I sometimes have to take into
account the perceptions as there are some entities which use those
terms solely for advertising purposes. The fact that the domain name
is registered to one of the MIXP members can lead to a perception of
bias. The IX fabric is like an empty room at a party. If you ask a
person in Africa (including Mauritius) how the party was the person
would point to the IX fabric to say that it is a wonderful party. In
my opinion, it takes much more than that for the party to be wonderful.

It does not take that much time to register an association when there
is the will to do so. There isn't an ISP association in
Mauritius. The closest thing there is to that is an outsourcing
association. Companies involved in outsourcing do not have much use
for a local IX.

I am not interested in an Open Source mirror as it is a topic for the
local Linux user group to pursue. I am copying this message to Logan
as I don't know who contacted who and when it happened.

Is there a way to get a MIXP which actually works? It might be
possible to do that. :-)