Re: Mauritius Telecom and Emtel peering at MIXP

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:55:51 +0400

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:43 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate that you are assisting during
> your free time to do this work.
>
> I see the value of "open and neutral". I sometimes have to take into
> account the perceptions as there are some entities which use those terms
> solely for advertising purposes. The fact that the domain name is
> registered to one of the MIXP members can lead to a perception of bias.
> The IX fabric is like an empty room at a party. If you ask a person in
> Africa (including Mauritius) how the party was the person would point to
> the IX fabric to say that it is a wonderful party. In my opinion, it takes
> much more than that for the party to be wonderful.
>
> It does not take that much time to register an association when there is
> the will to do so. There isn't an ISP association in Mauritius. The
> closest thing there is to that is an outsourcing association. Companies
> involved in outsourcing do not have much use for a local IX.
>
> I am not interested in an Open Source mirror as it is a topic for the
> local Linux user group to pursue. I am copying this message to Logan as I
> don't know who contacted who and when it happened.

This idea of Open Source mirrors was tossed around last year. I enquired
about the possibility of doing it at the MIXP. At the Government level,
there is a project to promote the use of Open Source Software within
Mauritius. One of the ways to support that is to have mirrors of packages
such as Ubuntu, CentOS, and others within Mauritius. After asking around
(Viv) , it became clear that even if I could get an ethernet port, I would
still need an ISP to give me bandwidth free of charge to support that
activity.