Re: US Government open sourced UI & Visual Style components

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 23:47:29 -0700

Hi Ish,

I am copying this message to the secretary of LUGM as I would also
like to have LUGM's opinion about standards.

At 22:40 28-09-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>The US Government open sourced [1] its UI & Visual Style components
>so as to set a standard in making beautiful websites for the
>American people. I wish I could say the same for ours. Open Source
>advocates and enthusiasts have been pushing forward the adoption of
>Open Standards in Mauritius, but somehow I feel our government
>agencies are reluctant with the word "open".

One of the reasons to "open source" software is so that other
companies or organisations can improve their web sites without having
to be concerned about the cost of the software. It is assumed that
the companies or organisations' employees have the knowledge to use
that software.

Did LUGM, any "advocates" or "enthusiasts" write to the government to
push for open standards? There is a notice [1] for a "Document
Management System". Technical standards would be mentioned in the
notice if the government agency is following them.

>I'd sum up to say this webpage has everything to show poor standards
>of web design. Now, that the Infotech event is in just a few days
>and the web address is on billboards around the island, I let you
>imagine the comments that flow within the developers community.

Is there a place where I can read the comments of that "developers community"?

1. http://publicprocurement.govmu.org/pages/procurementdetails.aspx?pid=1618