Re: Mauritius Smart Cities Conference

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 20:29:36 -0700

Hi Shelly,

At 10:29 07-09-2015, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:
>Anybody willing to attend?

The conference does not look interesting to me.

>1.http://smartcitiesmauritius.com/
>Smart Cities Mauritius .com? why not .mu?

The web site uses a free hosting service. The organizers probably
choose ".com" as it was cheaper.

>It would be indeed beneficial to know if there will be any follow up
>after that conference as well as visibility on what they discussed about.

The purpose of the conference seems to be networking instead of am
event where there would be a follow-up after the conference.

>3.The agenda seems pretty nice but is it really about new ideas?

It might be new for people who are not familiar with the topics.

>Smart Cities is not only about getting new technological devices,
>futuristic buildings etc
>Isn't the primary concern about the culture itself?

I gather that you meant the know-how to apply technology to solve the
problems of a city.

>Are we ready to implement such innovative concepts?

In my opinion, we are not currently ready.

>Talking about Smart Cities- we are actually facing so much issues
>with connectivity be it for personal use and for business.
>Shouldn't the Government worry about this first? Everybody is
>talking about Internet of Things nowadays why we are very far from
>being able to connect to the Internet Properly.

I did a search. I could not find that many reports about
connectivity issues affecting consumers. Why should the government
worry about connectivity?

Where is everybody talking about the internet of things?

>Is the Government really aware of the events organized so far
>regarding technology and its citizens?

The events about consumer software or hardware are a very small part
of technology.