Re: Information and Communication Technologies Advisory Council and internet-related issues

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 22:29:02 +0400

Hi Avinash,

On 06/26/2015 01:42 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I usually look into the issues affecting the internet in Mauritius. I
> wrote to the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Information about
> the security risk to .mu on 23 March (
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/03/0424.html
> ). I did not receive any reply from the Ministry. The National
> Internet Filtering System issue is still unresolved.

Yes. The issue remains unresolved and many people are reluctant to
discuss the matter. This puts me in a embarassing position vis-à-vis
people who question me & expect transparency from me. It is not unknown
that I am an ardent supporter of transparency & openness at all levels.

> I assumed that the Information and Communication Technologies Advisory
> Council would be interested in those issues. However, Mr Sookun
> requested that I communicate with the Ministry of Technology,
> Communication and Information instead of discussing about issues related
> to the internet in Mauritius with the Information and Communication
> Technologies Advisory Council (
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/06/2611.html
> ). Such an approach is a disincentive to any constructive discussion of
> the issues.

Since my name is cited, I confirm the above.

> What is the use of having an Information and Communication Technologies
> Advisory Council if all communication about internet-related issues have
> to be directed to the Ministry?

I believe even this question must be addressed to the Ministry of
Technology, Communication and Innovation.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.