Re: Information and Communication Technologies Advisory Council and internet-related issues

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 21:05:53 +0000

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:42 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Avinash,
>
> I am contacting you as you are the Chair of the ICT Advisory Council.
>
> I usually look into the issues affecting the internet in Mauritius. I wrote
> to the Ministry of Technology, Communication and Information about the
> security risk to .mu on 23 March (
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/03/0424.html
> ). I did not receive any reply from the Ministry. The National Internet
> Filtering System issue is still unresolved.
>
> I assumed that the Information and Communication Technologies Advisory
> Council would be interested in those issues. However, Mr Sookun requested
> that I communicate with the Ministry of Technology, Communication and
> Information instead of discussing about issues related to the internet in
> Mauritius with the Information and Communication Technologies Advisory
> Council (
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/06/2611.html
> ). Such an approach is a disincentive to any constructive discussion of the
> issues.
>
> What is the use of having an Information and Communication Technologies
> Advisory Council if all communication about internet-related issues have to
> be directed to the Ministry?

Due to the allegations made against me and Ish Sookun, I will refrain
from talking too much about the ICT Advisory Council. Instead, I will
write what I feel needs to be discussed on my blog, while carefully
avoiding raising those issues at the ICT Advisory Council.

I am deeply disturbed that " I [Content filtering owner] was impressed
with how willing the ISP industry in Mauritius was to get involved
with this project as well as the transparency and broad consultation
undertaken by the ICTA. ”", as there was never a broad consultation by
ICTA.

[Press release:
http://www.watchdoginternational.net/index.php/press-releases/52-press-releases-external/158-watchdog-installsn-internet-filter-in-mauritius]

I am only interested in buying milk from New Zealand. I do not want
black boxes that spy on me from New Zealand.