Re: www.buyingpropertyinmauritius.com

From: Daniel Laeng <daniel_at_laeng.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:00:06 +0400

Hi Shelly,

Here are my thoughts on your questions:

> 1. I know that Mauritius Websites are not the only one prone to such
> kind of issues but i would like to know why they are so frequent?
I don't have any statistics on numbers of websites compromised in
Mauritius, but I imagine it's a similar rate to other places. It's a
problem everywhere. This article
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/jameslyne/2013/09/06/30000-web-sites-hacked-a-day-how-do-you-host-yours/>
suggests that there are 30,000 websites hacked per day.

Websites are hacked frequently because technology is complicated, and
security is often not a priority for small websites.

> 2. How do i proceed if i want to design a website and make sure it
> does not get hacked?
I'll be a little bit controversial, and suggest that you probably don't
need to build a website. Instead, consider finding a SaaS (Software As
a Service) product that does what you want. (I say controversial,
because I don't think it's popular solution in Mauritius)

If you're trying to build a shopping website, then use something like
shopify <http://www.shopify.com/> or volusion <http://www.volusion.com/>
on your own domain. If you want to do blogging maybe something like
tumblr <https://www.tumblr.com/> on a custom domain will do the trick.
I think it's worth looking *first* at SaaS options, trying them out, and
then only if there are none suitable, consider building something yourself.

Using an existing platforms like these, will give you high quality
software with better security than you can build yourself. The downside
is that the software may not be customisable enough for you, and there
is usually a montly fee associated with this kind of product.

> 3. Do i have to contact some website security expert? How can i
> protect my website?
Definitely get advice from somebody technical (a developer who
understands security). But you can't avoid having to learn about
yourself too.

Cheers,

Dan.

--