Re: www.buyingpropertyinmauritius.com

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:14:06 +0400

Hi Shelly,

On 6/23/15 9:50 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:

> 1. I know that Mauritius Websites are not the only one prone to such
> kind of issues but i would like to know why they are so frequent?

There is no proper survey that documents how Mauritian businesses go
ahead with designing or maintaining their website. I cannot ascertain
anything about frequency as I do not have data about all the web
incidents recorded in Mauritius against total number of Mauritian
designed websites.

> 2. How do i proceed if i want to design a website and make sure it does
> not get hacked?

You will 'design' a website if you are a web designer. That itself can
be broken into two parts. There are:

i) Front-end Developers, who make the visual aspect of website. That is
the first thing you see when you visit a webpage.
ii) Web Developers, who work on the backend code, writing the logic to
process & store data.

Most of the time vulnerabilities occur in that backend code. So, either
you write secure code & audit it regularly, or you could use an
off-the-shelf CMS (WordPress, Drupal etc) and patch it on time. Patching
is the word we use when a vulnerability is discovered in an application
and code that fixes it is applied to the application.

> 3. Do i have to contact some website security expert? How can i protect
> my website?

You can always ask the advice of someone with a good background in
designing or maintaining websites.

> 4. I have been looking for answers on the Internet but some response
> were too technical. Could someone help me understand how it works?

I believe I still use technical terms even if I try to simplify the
explanation. If any of the term I used isn't clear, let me know.

Cheers,

--
​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.