Re: FW: Notes of meeting of the Multistakeholder Forum‏

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 13:53:25 +0400

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the insight. I would agree to several points you raised.

On 6/15/15 11:50 AM, Daniel Laeng wrote:

> From your answers, I think I can conclude that you're happy with the
> quality of emails from MIU members to officials of various types (and
> you are allowed to be). The recipients of some of those mails have
> expressed a different view, and currently I side with them.

No. I am not happy with the quality of all emails. I am siding with the
right to information & transparency. Just as you mentioned 'etiquette'
when communicating with gov agencies, gov agencies could have addressed
that more properly.

> The MIU is young and needs to build it's reputation. I'd like to see it
> have a reputation for bringing carefully thought out arguments, and
> technical expertise and a fair representation of the Mauritian public.
> I would prefer it didn't have a reputation for enabling/encouraging
> members to send low quality emails to various government and
> non-government representatives.

MIU is a reflection of the internet community as it is right now in
Mauritius. The response from gov agencies shows how gov agencies are and
operate right now in Mauritius. I mentioned things could change gradually.

In fact, I believe this discussion we're having will bring a change too.

> I personally tend to react fairly negatively towards any organisation
> that enables people to fill my inbox with unwanted emails. The MIU
> generates a lot of emails, and we need to be careful that the ones
> reaching non-members are appropriate.

If I do not want emails from an organization, I will inform them
properly and state a reason why.

> Just because they were relevant to the discussions, doesn't mean that
> they need to be shared outside of the list. Communications with anybody
> off the list should be direct and have a purpose, including them as a CC
> does not seem appropriate.

I agree, we need improvement on this.

> Either you are ignoring the bad behaviour on the MIU list, or you think
> it's acceptable.

Each person writing an email should take his/her responsibility.

> Here's an example: This email
> <http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/05/1449.html>
> (part of a thread of similar emails), was sent to 28 recipients, including
> - 8 govmu addresses
> - 2 ncb addresses,
> - icta, mauritiustelecom, lexpress

Nirvan had sent an email earlier. There was no reply to that. I analyze
there is a lack of responsibility on both sides.

> Ok, I don't know what word to use to describe the people in question.
> Let's split the world into two groups: MIU members, and everybody else.
> Anybody who is not a MIU member, shouldn't be included on MIU emails.

When a person replies you and copies the email to multiple other
recipients of the same organization, you do not know those people. It
usually is for their internal follow-up.

I see CC'ing the mailing list similar to the above.

I will however agree with you on improvement on the quality of emails
which is required.

> No, but the MIU enabling low quality spammy emails isn't helpful.

I agree.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.