Etiquette (was: FW: Notes of meeting of the Multistakeholder Forum)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 02:38:36 -0700

Hello,
At 14:03 14-06-2015, Daniel Laeng wrote:
>I've been busy for a couple of days, and I've come back to a wall of
>angry emails. I'm going to mostly keep out of the arguments, but
>would like to raise one issue that I think is important and does not
>seem to have been discussed.
>
>MIU Members are spamming the Government - I think this has to stop
>
>The Government has made it clear that they do not want to receive
>spam from MIU members. I've seen very little discussion on here
>about what is going to be done to address this.

I am not sure whether this is the thread which the above refers to:
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/04/1139.html
I politely asked to have the minutes corrected during the
meeting. There was a comment from the Chair that the contents of the
minutes was not important. After going over the first two issues
with the previous minutes I proposed not to discuss about the matter
further due to difficulties in identifying the sections which were
being discussed. The meeting continued with a discussion of the
proposed "legal framework". The issue of confidentiality was raised
by the Chair near the end of the meeting. There were two, or maybe
more, issues:

    - Confidentiality

    - The press

    - Unwanted mail

group to send their concerns through their representatives. The
actual problem, from what I understood, is that a few officials are
not comfortable about having anything in a written form.

Do the few emails qualify as "spam"? Based on my reading of the
messages in the thread mentioned above I do not think so. Were the
emails unwanted? Yes, on the island, any communication in written
form is generally considered as unwanted. That makes it convenient
to say that there isn't any problem.

I agree that the issue of unwanted emails has to be addressed; and as
Dan mentioned, there has been very little discussion about that.

>I think the situation could be improved significantly by making sure
>that when somebody clicks [Reply All] on a MIU email, the resulting
>reply should not ever go to a non MIU member.
>
>Am I the only one who thinks we should sort this out?

As we are in Mauritius I gather that I have to mention that I was the
co-Chair of an email working group [1] and that I am a recognized
email subject-matter expert (outside Mauritius).

In my opinion there is an extremely poor understanding of email
etiquette in Mauritius. I did not wish to comment about that as I
believe that it is better to be sympathetic given the high barrier
which people in Mauritius have to face. It is frown upon when a
person blindly clicks on the "Reply to All" button and sends a poorly
written message. It is worse when those messages are addressed to
people that the sender (of the message) does not know.

1. https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/yam/charter/