Re: Notes of meeting of the Multistakeholder Forum

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 14:15:51 +0400

Hi SM,

On 6/14/15 12:30 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> From
> http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/cpsi/unpan029328.pdf
>
> "Public Officers shall understand that, while
> discharging their duties, they are doing no favour to
> members of the public. They shall diligently, fairly
> and sympathetically attend to inquiries from
> members of the public.
>
> It is the duty of Public Officers to give to the public
> any information required or advice and to provide
> reasonable assistance. Public Officers shall help the
> public to understand their rights and obligations."

I read the same from a Code of Ethics document from the government
portal and I blogged[1] about it today.

> Is the problem that the rights and obligations of the representatives of
> the Mauritius Internet Users are not clear?

Yes. The rights & obligations are not clear. From what happened in the
forum, it appears like censorship.

On 17 March 2015, there was signing ceremony of the Mauritius Convention
on Transparency[2] by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the United
Nations Commission on International Trade Law.

> Are we public officers or are we part of members of the public?

We are part of members of the public.

> Are we acting in bad faith by disclosing information to our members so
> as to promote open discussion with them and get their consensus on the
> decisions to be taken?

I believe by trying to satisfy a few officers who are not abiding to the
Code of Ethics of the Civil Service, we are actually being dishonest
towards members who entrusted us a responsibility.

[1] http://hacklog.in/code-of-ethics-civil-service-mauritius/
[2]
http://www.unitedconventionontransparencymauritius2015.govmu.org/English/programme/Pages/default.aspx

​Ish Sookun