Re: 2015 SCJ 177

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:24:47 +0400

Hi SM, Nadim,

On 6/10/15 12:30 AM, Mohammad Nadim wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 at 22:06 S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com
> <mailto:sm%2Bmu_at_elandsys.com>> wrote:
>
> During a workshop today there was a comment which was
> interesting. The approach taken for data in government would be to
> use a national identity number in all of them. From a privacy point
> of view this uniqueness is problematic.

Yes. I agree it will be problematic. If data is tagged this way with a
unique identifier it can be used to plot together a lot of information
of an individual.

> BTW, what the privacy laws of Mauritius say about using NIC number to
> uniquely identify records in the government data ?

I do not think there is anything specific to this matter in the DPA
2004. Will have to go through.

Privacy is a "new subject" in Mauritius, if I may call it so. A lot of
people are still unaware of what is okay and what is not okay under the
data protection laws of Mauritius.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.