Re: 2015 SCJ 177

From: Mohammad Nadim <nadim.attari_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 20:30:44 +0000

Hello SM,

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 at 22:06 S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> During a workshop today there was a comment which was
> interesting. The approach taken for data in government would be to
> use a national identity number in all of them. From a privacy point
> of view this uniqueness is problematic.

I'm not comfortable when I find that my NIC number is to be used to
uniquely identify data in government. I can't give a reason why, simply
because I cannot find one. But I do not have a positive feeling as to why
my NIC number is to be used to UNIQUELY identify some records in the
government data.

My NIC number is my *personal data* and it should uniquely identify me -
not some data for the government (maybe in several distributed databases or
in several tables).

BTW, what the privacy laws of Mauritius say about using NIC number to
uniquely identify records in the government data ?

Regards,
Nadim Attari