Re: Open Government Data - World Bank Readiness Assessment

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 22:40:19 +0400

Hello SM,

I will reply you as the PR of the Linux User Group of Mauritius.

On 6/4/15 1:51 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> (a) We are in favour of having a law on freedom of information.
>
> That is the only way to ensure that we can get access to Open
> Government Data.

I believe this is important to ensure that accessibility to Open
Government Data.

> (b) We are in favour of privacy protection and privacy principles.
>
> I suggest being open to discussing some exceptions on a case-to-case
> basis if it is proposed by a person who does not work in government.

I agree. A line needs to be drawn between Open Data and Personal Data.

> (c) The copyright, as currently used by government agencies, is
> incorrect.
>
> We are in favour of a copyright for the State of Mauritius. The
> current
> license for data is also incorrect.

I agree. At times there is no proper copyright, neither a privacy policy
on some government websites. It becomes difficult to decide if the
information displayed on the website can be "freely" copied, used &
redistributed.

> (d) Open Data in mauritius is inexistent.
>
> I could not find any data which adheres to the Open Data principles.

I agree. I see interpreted data (information) and I should rely the
same. It is difficult for me to analyze & make a proper conclusion.

> (e) We are in favour of open standards.
>
> The standards which are used should be freely available to anyone in
> Mauritius. I'll include open formats in the above as it is easy
> to use
> data when we can easily write code to process the data.

I agree on the adoption of open standards at government level.

I also favor part (f) which you cited in your reply to Daniel,

          All data paid for through public funds be made available for public
use unless the government agency can provide a valid reason for keeping
the data secret.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.