Re: 2015 SCJ 177

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 23:18:05 +0400

Hello SM,

On 6/3/15 5:30 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> According to a presentation by Mr R. Hawabhay, Acting Director, Central
> Informatics Bureau, there will be "use of the Card Validation service
> and fingerprint readers by businesses to validate the identity of
> citizens".

Unfortunately, I could not ever find technical specs of such fingerprint
readers. Let's take it this way, will there be a difference between the
reader used by a hospital and that used by an insurance company? I have
said in the past

> From what I read in the local press the project was about a "platform
> for e-government". There was very little information in those press
> articles about what that is about. In my opinion, privacy is not a
> minor issue. I guess that some of the biometric data was included as
> part of the validation service. The problem is that there isn't any
> information about how that validation service is supposed to work. If
> you want services related to the ones mentioned above you would have to
> consider the security and privacy aspects or else you can forget about
> using technology.

You mean to say the mentioned services cannot exist with biometrics?

> I did not know about that web site. The project value was more than "Rs
> 100 m". There isn't any privacy policy on la.govmu.org

Is the missing privacy policy on this government owned website a minor
issue?

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.