Re: Open Government Data - World Bank Readiness Assessment

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 02:51:50 -0700

Hello,

This is the position of the Mauritius Internet Users for the World
Bank Open Data Readiness Assessment.

   (a) We are in favour of having a law on freedom of information.

       That is the only way to ensure that we can get access to Open
       Government Data.

   (b) We are in favour of privacy protection and privacy principles.

       I suggest being open to discussing some exceptions on a case-to-case
       basis if it is proposed by a person who does not work in government.

   (c) The copyright, as currently used by government agencies, is incorrect.

       We are in favour of a copyright for the State of Mauritius. The current
       license for data is also incorrect.

   (d) Open Data in mauritius is inexistent.

       I could not find any data which adheres to the Open Data principles.

   (e) We are in favour of open standards.

       The standards which are used should be freely available to anyone in
       Mauritius. I'll include open formats in the above as it is easy to use
       data when we can easily write code to process the data.

Please send a message to the mailing list if you have any objection
to any of the above.