Re: Orange & Facebook

From: Luchmun Sadhveer Sharma <ssyluchmun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 23:42:13 -0700

Hello.

Providing Facebook as a free service is not really what I need as a
university student. However, I think that people need to make the most
out of this.

Facebook has its own in-built browser on Android (Windows Phone 8.1 OS
does not have the in-built browser update yet). According to posts
I've seen on the official Orange's Facebook page, there is no
additional cost associated in using the in-built browser if one user
has bought a package with unlimited Facebook. This means one user can
browse through links he/she comes across for free. The only issue is
that Facebook does not allow you to enter a URL manually to access
webpages. To tackle this, a user can simply create a secret group on
Facebook (Required: Add minimum 1 person) and post links he/she wishes
to access. This works and I tested it yesterday. As such, through the
unlimited Facebook, I can have unlimited browsing.

Now Facebook Messenger allows communication through messages and video
calls as well. This is something people need to take advantage if
Facebook is being provided for free.

Is this a good thing?
Well, it has both advantages and disadvantages. The major disadvantage
of this is that young people will have a "Facebook-oriented" mindset
and many young people do not use Facebook correctly.

What is Orange choosing what should be free and what not for us?

Well, I think that this forms part of a business strategy. The target
audience is high since a lot of people, especially young people stay
most of the time on Facebook.

It would have been better if Orange could partner with schools and
universities and create educational services (Websites, tutorials,
reference books, etc. ) for free rather than Facebook as for free.

Best Regards,
Luchmun Sadhveer Sharma (Yudish)