Open Data awareness in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 14:16:15 +0400

Hi folks,

Last night I sent an email to the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and
Industry (MCCI) asking about their support for open data. I inquired about
the facts and figures I saw on the website[1].

On the "trade tools" page[2] it is mentioned that import & export figures
are available through Excel figures. Microsoft Excel is a proprietary
software that reads spreadsheets.

On the openAfrica[3] website, under datasets for Mauritius, I found the
resource file is downloadable as a CSV. It is also provided under Open Data
Commons Attribution License[4].

Coming back to the Excel file provided by MCCI, the following line from the
disclaimer[5] makes it unclear to me if I can freely use the information
from the Excel sheet.

*"All the rights in the Information, including but without limiting the
generality of the foregoing, and all intellectual property rights, belong
solely to MCCI."*

Searching for "open data in mauritius" on Google didn't return useful
information about the adoption in Mauritius. Last year I first raised my
question about "Open Government Data (OGD)" during a workshop by the
National Computer Board on the National Open Source Software Policy. On 21