Re: Open Data awareness in Mauritius

From: vincent pollet <hello_at_ict.io>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 15:22:13 +0400

Hi Ish

Where do we register for the open data readiness assessment ?

Regards,

*VINCENT POLLET *| *CO-FOUNDER*

*WWW.ICT.IO <http://www.ict.io/> *
EBENE CYBERCITY - MAURITIUS

e: vincent_at_ <vincent_at_pongosoft.com>ict.io
m: +230 52520766
skype:vincent.pollet67

[image: Inline images 1]

On 26 May 2015 at 14:16, Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Last night I sent an email to the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and
> Industry (MCCI) asking about their support for open data. I inquired about
> the facts and figures I saw on the website[1].
>
> On the "trade tools" page[2] it is mentioned that import & export figures
> are available through Excel figures. Microsoft Excel is a proprietary
> software that reads spreadsheets.
>
> On the openAfrica[3] website, under datasets for Mauritius, I found the
> resource file is downloadable as a CSV. It is also provided under Open Data
> Commons Attribution License[4].
>
> Coming back to the Excel file provided by MCCI, the following line from
> the disclaimer[5] makes it unclear to me if I can freely use the
> information from the Excel sheet.
>
> *"All the rights in the Information, including but without limiting the
> generality of the foregoing, and all intellectual property rights, belong
> solely to MCCI."*
>
> Searching for "open data in mauritius" on Google didn't return useful
> information about the adoption in Mauritius. Last year I first raised my
> question about "Open Government Data (OGD)" during a workshop by the
> National Computer Board on the National Open Source Software Policy. On 21
> September 2014 I wrote the following about OGD[6] in Mauritius:
>
> *Mauritius has an e-Government Strategy plan set over 2013 – 2017. The
> first time I had a look at this document I was optimistic. The document
> mentioned adoption of Open Source and Open Government Data. As an ardent
> advocate of open standards I was particularly interested with these two «
> recommendations » among many others. e-Government Strategy plan can be
> downloaded from the Central Informatics Bureau’s website.*
>
> There has not been a proper awareness by the Government, NGOs or the
> private sector to educate the population about Open Data.
>
> [1] http://www.mcci.org/en/doing-business/inside-mauritius
> [2] http://www.mcci.org/en/our-services/trade-tools
> [3]
> http://africaopendata.org/dataset/world-bank-contract-award-2010-2012-mauritius/resource/658fda64-78c7-4bee-8686-a290e041ae19
> [4] http://opendefinition.org/licenses
> [5] http://www.mcci.org/en/disclaimer
> [6] http://hacklog.in/mauritius-e-government-strategy-demystified
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> ​Ish Sookun
>
> - Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
> - I blog at HACKLOG.in.
>
> https://twitter.com/IshSookun ^^ Do you tweet?

logo-ict-and-moto-300x86.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: logo-ict-and-moto-300x86.jpg)