Re: Open Data awareness in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 10:46:31 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 03:16 26-05-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Last night I sent an email to the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and
>Industry (MCCI) asking about their support for open data. I inquired
>about the facts and figures I saw on the website[1].

Did you get a reply from the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry?

>On the "trade tools" page[2] it is mentioned that import & export
>figures are available through Excel figures. Microsoft Excel is a
>proprietary software that reads spreadsheets.

I tried the "export to Excel" and I received a zero-byte file. The
information was displayed when I used the "print" feature.

>On the openAfrica[3] website, under datasets for Mauritius, I found
>the resource file is downloadable as a CSV. It is also provided
>under Open Data Commons Attribution License[4].

The data I found on openAfrica was dated 2013.

>Coming back to the Excel file provided by MCCI, the following line
>from the disclaimer[5] makes it unclear to me if I can freely use
>the information from the Excel sheet.
>
>"All the rights in the Information, including but without limiting
>the generality of the foregoing, and all intellectual property
>rights, belong solely to MCCI."

The question of rights is more complicated than it seems. I prefer
not to comment about the above as I do not know the answer for the above case.

>There has not been a proper awareness by the Government, NGOs or the
>private sector to educate the population about Open Data.

I am not aware of any non-governmental organisation in Mauritius
interested in Open Data. I don't know whether the private sector is
interested in Open Data. It is not up to the Mauritius Internet
Users to educate the population about Open Data. I don't think that
it is up to the Government to educate the population about Open
Data. It is better if the government focuses on Open Government Data.