Re: WebCup 2015

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 09:12:49 +0000

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> At 11:24 25-05-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>>
>> Please don't misunderstand me. Or rather I must apologise for not putting
>> my point(s) clearly. I'm no way compromising with bad codes, etc. First of
>> all, coming to the WebCup, the team members should have paid attention to
>> the criteria on which they were to be assessed. And good or clean code
>> development was not a criteria. Personally I think that if this was a
>> criteria, then the standard of the WebCup would have been higher. And yes I
>> want a higher standard for the Webcup.
>

> The following is from a news article in Reunion island:
>
> 'Organisé par l'association réunionnaise Webcup, ce concours se veut
> "un véritable baromètre des compétences techniques et créatives des
> participants, résidant dans la zone océan Indien"'

It might be a good idea to point out this from the "rules":

'L’utilisation de banques d’images, de banques de sons et de
librairies de scripts est autorisée, à condition que celles-ci soient
libres de droit ou que les équipes se soient acquittées des droits
d’utilisation de celles-ci.'

Personally, I don't have an issue with people modifying templates.
However, I am deeply concerned about the lack of understanding of how
licensing works from people who will become software engineers or who
already are.

The Jury should have taken more time to review the creations, and at
the minimum assess whether there was license violation before
publishing the work on the website. Lack of time is not an excuse for
not knowing the law :)