Re: Open Source Software in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 01:36:27 -0700

Hello,
At 23:30 21-05-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Could you please provide a reference of the above?

Please see
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6701719&filter%3DAND%28p_IS_Number%3A6701709%29

At 23:36 21-05-2015, Jochen Kirstätter wrote:
>My question is more towards this direction: Why
>should another group of people (outside of the
>NCB) be the driving force in putting such a
>framework together? Yes, there are volunteers in
>the LUGM that are acting as ambassadors for
>various distributions but sorry, there are
>persons at the NCB which are paid for this kind
>of work, or? Representatives of LUGM, MIU or any
>other user group or even an association cannot
>and shouldn't be held responsible to write such
>a framework. The field of activity should be
>limited to assistance / guidance but not in terms of origin (for free?).

It is because the persons at the National
Computer Board, who may have been paid to do the
work, do not have any understanding of Open
Source. If I am part of a local Open Source
group I can either put some effort to ensure that
the framework benefits the Open Source locally or
I can sit back and complain when I find that the
framework did not benefit Open Source
locally. That does not mean that the person(s)
putting in that effort should do everything for free.

At 00:10 22-05-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>That's very troubling. They basically hired 2 guys who had no clue
>about the IT landscape of Mauritius, and made them drive the Open
>Source policy.

Yes.

>I wonder why they didn't approach local people who have open source
>experience, and a better understanding of the Local IT landscape.

One possible explanation for that is that, for
example, you are experienced is writing code "in
iptables, which is the firewalling tool for Linux
systems". Would you be able to draft an Open
Source policy? Would you be able to raise an
objection if a government agency is proposing
something your group disagrees with? Would
anyone in Mauritius be able to verify whether you
have indeed raised an objection?