Re: Open Source Software in Mauritius

From: Jochen Kirstätter <mscc_at_kirstaetter.name>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 10:36:44 +0400

Hi,

Can't help it but this sounds like: "pa mwa ca, li ca"

As far as I understand this conversation, it's the NCB that is the
originator behind an Open Source policy. They were advertising this
already during the Infotech 2013 (and earlier IIRC). Whether there is a
written framework or not I can't tell.

My question is more towards this direction: Why should another group of
people (outside of the NCB) be the driving force in putting such a
framework together? Yes, there are volunteers in the LUGM that are
acting as ambassadors for various distributions but sorry, there are
persons at the NCB which are paid for this kind of work, or?
Representatives of LUGM, MIU or any other user group or even an
association cannot and shouldn't be held responsible to write such a
framework. The field of activity should be limited to assistance /
guidance but not in terms of origin (for free?).

Furthermore, I'm kind of amused and confused at the same time only by
reading certain discussion threads here. Mainly, regarding the changing
positioning and opinion of some contributors. And no this is not an
accusation, just an observation - I would assume that this might be
based on lack of focus or actual direction to go forward.

Honestly, I do not agree that volunteers like participants of MIU (or
LUGM) should do a free job which is duty of someone else being paid for
it. But that's my personal point of view.

--
Kind regards, Jochen
Founder of Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community