Re: National Internet Filtering System

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 21:50:45 +0400

Hello Avinash,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Avinash Meetoo <avinash_at_noulakaz.net>
wrote:

> This matter was discussed during the last ICT Advisory Council and you
> will get the Notes of Meeting shortly.

​Thank you. I shall catch up with the notes then.​

> In essence,
>
> - The ICTA organised a workshop in 2011 with various stakeholders
> prior to the setup (it is not clear whether members of the public were
> invited though).
>
> ​I'd like to get details about the workshops & discussions that happened
at that time. It is still vague how the decision of a "national"​ filtering
system came up. I do not know if this is currently possible.

> - The ICTA implemented the system afterwards (but the server is not at
> their premises anymore).
>
> ​It raises more questions.

> - The system is still active.
> - We can, as the ICT Advisory Council, contact the ICTA to ask for a
> meeting with them to discuss the matter further if you feel this is
> important.
>
> What do you think?

​I think we should be made aware of all information (available) pertaining
this particular project. A meeting with ICTA would be great. Thanks Avinash
:-)

We should note that everyday new Internet subscribers (taking into account
mobile Internet users) with various ISPs have their traffic "filtered"
without their knowledge. It's a matter of making people aware ethically. I
do not share the idea of cleaning the Internet and presenting it to people
without their consent. CSA is a serious matter & we need to collaborate on
it, but in a more ethical way.

​Regards,

--
​Ish Sookun