Re: National Internet Filtering System

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 22:19:54 +0400

Hello Avinash,

​Hope you're doing well.​

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun <
shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mr S.Moonesamy, I would like to know if the Chair of the ICT Advisory
> Council replied to your email. Could you please write a mail to the ICTA
> as a representative of the Mauritius Internet Users to share our concern
> regarding the letter which Mr K.Oolun wrote to Ishwon regarding this issue.

It's now that I realise, S. Moonesamy addressed you the email as you are
the Chair of the ICT Advisory Council. ​​I would like to raise the issue of
"National Internet Filtering System". Though the mechanism was implemented
in 2011 it is more relevant in 2015 given the prevalence of Internet usage
in Mauritius.

The Internet & social networks played a crucial role during the December
2014 elections. The current TCI Minister has on several occasions urged
citizens to embrace innovation. I don't think we, as a nation, would look
good if we do not understand what is happening with our Internet traffic.

From the press release[1] of Watchdog International, I read Peter Mancer
saying he was surprised at how willing the ISPs of Mauritius were to
collaborate. Countries around the world resist on matters pertaining to
Internet filtering. Mauritius did not. The matter needs to be re-studied
and addressed appropriately.

It may create a negative perception if the Chair of ICT Advisory Council
does engage with the Mauritius Internet Users.

[1]
http://www.watchdoginternational.net/index.php/press-releases/52-press-releases-external/158-watchdog-installsn-internet-filter-in-mauritius

​Regards,​

--