Re: National Internet Filtering System

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 02:09:44 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 10:05 16-05-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>interests of the government". I did not find any glossary of terms
>on icta.mu to be able to find their meaning of "public consultation".

I could not find information about how a "public consultation" works.

>I was surprised with the last paragraph too. I had hoped ICTA would
>provide me proper references and maybe transcripts/notes that could
>support how & why of the discussions of 2011. Alas, I was rather
>asked to be silent.

The ICTA has an ethics policy.

>This is indeed an interesting question, how did ICTA block Facebook
>in 2007 without an Internet filtering system? Hmm. I heard last year
>while gov.mu was inaccessible around the world, it still remained
>accessible within Mauritius. Could ICTA have played part in the
>availability of gov.mu even though its DNS records were wiped? Is
>there any name in the DNS terminology for such actions?

It took a week for people in Mauritius to find out that ISPs were
returning fake DNS answers [1] for gov.mu. The closest description
is "DNS tampering".

1. http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/mict-gov-mu-not-found.html