Re: Emtel Cloud - 1010.mu is down

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 11:51:29 +0400

Hi Dhiruj,

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Dhiruj Rambaran <dhiruj_at_shoponline.mu>
wrote:

> I find it a bit.. how shall I say... "disappointing" maybe?.. to be an
> "Emtel" and yet, as someone said here, it's hosted on Microsoft Azure and
> not on their own datacentres. I mean this is surprising as they have their
> own centres. That's like saying "i'm crap but my competitor is better.. so
> I shall go host on my competitor instead but, by the way, i'm way better
> than my competitor".

​I agree. I expressed the same sentiment earlier when 1010.mu was
discussed.​

> it follows by....
>
> "Sham Roy ajoute que ce qui différencie 1010.mu des services de cloud de
> grandes firmes comme Google, c’est le support technique apporté par
> téléphone ou en personne en cas de problème."

​It is of no use to have "phone support" when the person on the other end
of line does not understand your problem. It can in fact be frustrating.
I've used Google Cloud, Amazon Web Services, OVH Cloud, Digital Ocean,
Ramnode, Linode and I have had good interaction with them through support
tickets and emails. I cannot complain.

I had once wished to use Emtel WiMax 1M in my Cybercafé (around 2012/13)
alongside Orange ADSL 1M. The technician onsite could not explain why with
Orange ADSL I was reaching upto 120Kbps while Emtel was below 100.

> So.. my question is this....
>
> Can I also make the claim... "...ce qui différencie Shoponline.mu des
> services de cloud de grandes firmes comme Google, c’est le support
> technique apporté par téléphone ou en personne en cas de problème."...
>
> and can I also say... "Shoponline propose son propre service de
> dématérialisation informatique (cloud computing) pour les particuliers et
> les Petites et moyennes entreprises (PME). Nommé Shoponline.mu, il comporte
> un service de création et d’hébergement de sites internet (full retail
> e-commerce), un service de "chat" et un système de sauvegarde (backup) en
> ligne (through geo-replication) " ?

​Sorry to say, 1010.mu isn't a cloud service but a "shared hosting
service". I am not interested with shared hosting services in 2015 when I
can get a VPS with SSD for $5/month (~Rs 150/month).

Would you call a "one-click WordPress install" facility an awesome cloud
service in 2015? Sorry folks, this comes native in Plesk and other similar
WebServer management platforms.

Therefore, I would not compare shoponline.mu with Emtel as they are using
"technical terms" in the wrong sense, which is not good for business.​

​Regards,​

--
​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.