RE: National Internet Filtering System

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 21:26:32 +0400

Dear Mr Oolun,
I am writing to you as an Internet User in Mauritius. I read about the National Internet Filtering system and I find it outrageous to learn about this system in a press release from a foreign company.
http://www.watchdoginternational.net/images/stories/mauritius.pdf
According to Mr Trilok Dabeesing, ICT director for the ICTA, this system can be used to prevent illegal activity in our country. Can this system be used to detect specific words which can identify cases of sexual abuse of children. Is this the only solution which has been proposed to identify cases of sexual abuse of children? How much does this system cost?
As a woman, i believe that sexual abuse of children is inacceptable. How can we be sure that the system is only being used to identify illegal cases of sexual abuse of children? Shouldn't I be informed that the Government has implemented this system in Mauritius? I am shocked that my ISP has not informed me about this.
Can this system also be used to identify cases of other illegal activities such as terrorist activities? Can it also be used to spy on the Government activities? How can the ICTA be sure that it has full control over this system and that it will not be used against the Government in future?
Mr. Dev Sunnasy, President of MITIA, said that according to the ICTA Act, Skype is illegal in Mauritius.
http://www.the-report.net/mauritius/jun2012/113-q-a-dr-m-k-oolun-executive-director-of-icta
Can this system be used to block Skype? I am surprised that Skype is illegal in Mauritius as all my friends use Skype regularly. There are even companies in Mauritius using Skype for business.
I was shocked to hear about the letter which the ICTA sent to Mr Sookun. Is it normal that citizens of Mauritius do not have the freedom to express their concern about whether they are being spied upon? This approach can strongly discourage citizens from expressing their opinion. I don't think that we are living in an era where the Government dictates people's opinions. I believe that the population of Mauritius will be happy to work along with the Government to find solutions to rescue children who are being harmed. I believe the best approach is to have a public consultation before implementing a National Internet Filtering System.
Regards,Shelly Hermia Bhujun