Re: www.tropicalmiss.com (was: New Website in Mauritius)

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 10:32:38 +0400

Hello Shelly,

Great observation :-)

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun <
shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if local talent was used maybe some of the photos were from
> the Mauritius Gold models company. But as far as the other photos are
> concerned it is obvious that these aren't Mauritian models.

​One may use Google (or other search engines) effectively to find out if an
image was published elsewhere first. I always find it deplorable that our
local websites use photos/images copied from the Internet, especially,
without citing sources.

> Well i would like to highlight one thing which left me quite puzzled. The
> products mentioned on the website, let's take the ring section for example;
> Are the rings seriously genuine? The rings are cheap. You cannot buy such
> stones for a price range of Rs 200! (Please see picture attached).

​The website does not provide much information to learn about the origin of
the products. I believe "foreign" products could easily be labelled as
"Made in Mauritius". ​

> Let me comment based on what i saw on the website and what has been said
> during the tropical miss event.
>
> 1. The products advertised on the tropicalmiss.com website are products
> made in Mauritius.
> 2. The owner claim that the website is at the same standard as
> International websites.
> 3. The website was inaugurated by Hon. Anil Kumarsingh GAYAN, the
> Minister of Health and Quality of Life.
>
> I would like to know if the Minister or the MBC did view the website and
> enquire about the products being advertised before participating in the
> inauguration. Am i the only one to find that the prices for the advertised
> products are fishy? Are the products being sold on the website genuine? Is
> the website really promoting local talent? Where are these products coming
> from? Where are these products manufactured? Why aren't the Mauritian
> brands mentioned on the website?

​I like your inquisitive nature. Sadly, it's not the nature of everyone and
that explains why we see "Ministers" inaugurating something that could
somehow be promoting fake products.​

 My personal opinion: What if the 'Naked' company finds out about the MBC
> video and finds its brand on the tropicalmiss.com website? Wouldn't it
> affect the reputation of Mauritius? Wouldn't that project an image that our
> Government is promoting fake products?

​Indeed, if a foreign company sues our Government for approving & promoting
counterfeit products, it could seriously damage our reputation.​

​Regards,​

--
​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.