Re: Amended Note of Meeting for Multi-Stakeholder Forum held on 22 April 2015

From: Benoit Gentil <benoit_at_fodytechnologies.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 00:25:25 +0400

Dear Mr. Gorden,

I have some concerns about the amended Note of Meeting for
Multi-Stakeholder Forum which was held on Wednesday 22 April 2015.

*Section 2.3**:*

Mr. Moonesamy make the presentation in his capacity as chair of the .MU
Select Committee.

*Section 4.1:*

 1. The .MU Select Commitee did not agree about the creation of a .MU
    council. What was proposed was the creation of a non-profit
    organisation.
 2. Mr Moonesamy did not mention having an equal status in the setting
    up of a .MU council.
 3. He did not mention that all stakeholders would be able to
    participate in the decision making process of the .MU council.
 4. What he proposed out was that the ministry of TCI would have to
    implement amendments to the ICT Act 2001, please refer to the slides
    of Mr. Moonesamy.

*Section**4.2:*

I was a member of the .MU Select Commitee as the representative of the
.MU Registrars, the .MU Select Commitee never agreed:

 1. For the creation of the .MU council.
 2. For the .MU council to be responsible for the .MU policy.

The report of the .MU Select Commitee did mention of a local setup with
an escrow at the international level.

The .MU Select Commitee recommended that the technical setup to be
operational within 6 months given that .MU is a single point of failure.
There is no mention that the process of the technical aspect might take
much time.

The .MU Select Commitee never recommend that the Multi-Stakeholder Forum
would elect the members to sit on the .mu Council.

During the discussion of the .MU Select Commitee, Mr G. Ramalingum and
Mr. T. Dabeesing were in favour of hiring Mr Chris Disspain as a
Consultant as he is a board member of ICANN. I raised a concern about
that as it is a conflict of interest and it would harm the case of
redelegation of the .MU.

During the last meeting of the Multi-Stakeholder Forum, Mr. T. Dabeesing
again proposed hiring Mr. Chris Disspain as a Consultant. Mr. S.
Moonesamy raised a formal objection about the matter and requested that
his objection be recorded in the minutes. Mr. N. Sookun and I also
objected to hiring a board member of ICANN as a consultant.

During the discussion of the .MU Select Commitee, Mr. S. Moonesamy
pointed out that the cost on the technical setup as proposed by the ICTA
was of an astronomical amount (Over 13 million rupees). I do not
understand why Mr. T. Dabeesing is insisting on hiring a foreign
consultant as he asked Mr. S. Moonesamy and I to work on the Technical
proposal of the .MU Registry and we managed to reduce the cost by half.

*Section 4.3**:*

There was strong discussion about the matter of hiring the proposed
foreign consultant. At the end of the discussion, Mr. S. Moonesamy
suggested leaving the decision to the non-profit entity as such entity
would be responsible for the implemention of the proposal.

*Section 4.4:*

I don't recall Mr. Radhakissoon mentioning the name of the .MU council.

*Section 4.5:*

The representative of Mauritius Telecom did not mention the name of the
.MU council.

*Section 4.8:*

There was no mentioned:

 1. that the .MU Council needs to be based on a tripartite system
    consisting of Public-Private-Civil society.
 2. that Government would have to be part of the .mu Council.
 3. that membership to the .mu Forum would be left open and not restricted.

Mr G. Ramalingum recommended that the association follows the model of
the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI). It is surprising
that Mr G. Ramalingum did not disclose the fact that he is currently a
member of the council of MCCI and I'm concern that there is a conflict
of interest and that there wasn't any disclosure of this interest.

There was disccusion between Mr. S. Moonesamy and Mr. G. Ramalingum
about whether the MCCI was open to everyone in Mauritius and whether the
MCCI operates in a transparent manner. Mr. G. Ramalingum replied that it
is transparent as it has a website.

There was no mention about accountability towards the internet community
during the meeting.

There wasn't any statement about the consultant would come up with an
holistic picture of what would be the best business model.

There was no mention during the meeting that the technical registry
would be hosted at the Mauritius Internet Exchange Point (MIXP). The
permanent secretary of the ministry proposed that the foreign consultant
would be paid by the ICTA. I'm surprise that the representative of the
ICTA did not raise any issue about that given that the ICTA is supposed
to be an independant body.

There was no mention of seed money to setup the technical registry.

The permanent secretary of the ministry announced that the government is
in negociation with Yann Kwok (Internet Direct Ltd) to buy the gov.mu
domain for 18 million rupees. Mr. Lim, representative of Mauritius
Telecom asked if it is even possible to buy gov.mu. Mr. G. Ramalingum
proposed that it is cheaper to buy a General Top Level Domain (gTLD)
from ICANN. I doubt that the Government or Mr. G. Ramalingum know the
criteria about the obtention of a gTLD.

*Section 5.0:*

The permanent secretary of the ministry proposed 3 legal persons to
work-out the legal framework. There was no mention about Mr G. Ramlingum
to be part of this sub-Commitee. It is strange that this sub-Commitee
now has 2 persons of MCCI.

There are two associations in Mauritius which claim to be the Internet
Society:

 1. http://isoc.mauritius.name/articles
 2. https://www.facebook.com/groups/isocmauritius/

Which one of them is working on this sub-Commitee?

The Multi-Stakeholder Forum never agreed to a recommendation to hire an
expert to provide assistance and help the Multi-Stakeholder Forum to
chart the way forward.

Of the 20 members present at the last meeting, 8 were from the
Government. There were 2 members from a company and 1 member from a
university in Mauritius in which Government has its representative. It
is clear that any vote from this forum would be in favour of the
Government. Further more it is strange that the ICTA which is a
regulatory body is insisting on adopting its proposal for a .MU council
when the local internet community is strongly against this model. It
creates a perception that Government wants total control of the .MU
registry. Further more, the organisations including the Government, ISPs
and the university of Mauritius represented in the Multi-Stakeholder
Forum do not have addequate technical expertise according to their
representative. I'm concern how this Multi-Stakeholder Forum can take
decision about the .MU ccTLD.

Best Regards,

*Benoit Gentil*

Director