Re: Open Data

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 05:14:10 -0700

Hi Nadim,
At 02:35 30-04-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>I find this idea interesting. But I would like to know which data
>can be made available?

I propose that all data paid for through public funds be made
available for public use unless the government agency can provide a
valid reason for keeping the data secret.

>_at_SM: What data do you expect to be made available? Are there any
>standards to be followed for the data?

I'll use
http://consumer.govmu.org/English//DOCUMENTS/PO%20CHART_FEB_2015.PDF
as an example. The data would be published in a CSV format.

Please see
http://statsmauritius.govmu.org/English/Publications/Pages/Crime-Year-2013.aspx
You would have access to data which would allow you to find out the
crime rate in your area, road traffic contraventions in your area,
etc. You would have access to the health and safety records so that
you can process that data and find out whether it is safe to buy from
that person/company. You would have access to census data and
climate data, etc.