Re: Informatique: ces jeunes développeurs en herbe

From: Mohammad Nadim <nadim.attari_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 23:55:38 +0400

Hello,

Congrats Nirvan :-)

On 27 April 2015 at 22:25, Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:

>> You were quoted as saying: "Comment nos talents seront-ils reconnus à
>> l’international si l’on persiste à prendre des experts étrangers alors que
>> nous avons des personnes hautement qualifiées à Maurice ?"
>>

> ​Secondly, I applaud his guts to voice it loud through the press and ring
> the bell about "foreign consultancy".
>
> The call for "foreign consultancy" is strongly rooted in our Government
> culture. I wonder why so many Int'l companies are outsourcing R&D to
> Mauritius if the country itself looks for expertise elsewhere. Isn't that
> sending a negative signal regarding local skills? Why should anyone be
> calling the country a Cyber Island when the country actually had to hire
> two foreigners to write a draft on "open source" and is excited about
> hiring another foreigner to advise on .mu? Duh.

I was there when Shelby was interviewing Nirvan. The example of hiring a
foreign consultant, despite we having local expertise, to implement a .mu
registry was mentioned. I think she didn't really understood that (and
didn't include the example in the article) or maybe the example didn't fit
the article (which is talking about young developers).

Now concerning foreign expertise, I have no problem hiring foreigners *when*
we do not have the expertise locally. If we were to hire foreigners, I'll
prefer expatriates living in Mauritius, since they'll better understand the
local context. But for the case of implementing a .mu registry, we have
local expertise (well expatriates living in Mauritius are also not an issue
as said before, but again we have local expertise).

BUT I see this with a different angle. First of all, hiring someone from
ICANN will constitute of a conflict of interest. ICANN members need to be
*neutral*. It will be disadvantageous for Internet Direct Ltd if a member
of ICANN takes the sides of the new would-be non-profit org / association.

Secondly I see this as a "shirking of duty" from the officials - what will
eventually happen, IMHO, is that they'll take the recommendations of the
ICANN board member as final, without even analysing the contents: "we shall
be implementing what the 'expert' recommended."

Best regards,
Nadim Attari