Re: Informatique: ces jeunes développeurs en herbe

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:25:11 +0400

Hello ,

> I saw your name in the news article about "Informatique: ces jeunes
> développeurs en herbe" (
> http://www.lexpress.mu/article/261727/informatique-jeunes-developpeurs-en-herbe
> ). Congratulations. :-)

​First of all, I congratulate Nirvan on his mention in the press :-) A well
deserved & well recognized talent.​

> You were quoted as saying: "Comment nos talents seront-ils reconnus à
> l’international si l’on persiste à prendre des experts étrangers alors que
> nous avons des personnes hautement qualifiées à Maurice ?"

​Secondly, I applaud his guts to voice it loud through the press and ring
the bell about "foreign consultancy".

The call for "foreign consultancy" is strongly rooted in our Government
culture. I wonder why so many Int'l companies are outsourcing R&D to
Mauritius if the country itself looks for expertise elsewhere. Isn't that
sending a negative signal regarding local skills? Why should anyone be
calling the country a Cyber Island when the country actually had to hire
two foreigners to write a draft on "open source" and is excited about
hiring another foreigner to advise on .mu? Duh.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.