Re: Free wifi not working in bagatelle

From: Mohammad Nadim <nadim.attari_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 15:18:33 +0400

On 5 April 2015 at 14:51, Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:
>
> > The issue needs to be investigated at the hotspot's router level. It
> might
> > me keeping addresses in the MAC table for more than 24 hours or and thus
> > running out of addresses when new devices request.
>
> Are you talking about pre-mapping a list of MAC addresses to a list
> of predefined IPs ? This happens in cases where you already know the
> list of Mac addresses beforehand. In this particular case, it's not a
> practical solution, and I don't think that they use this.
>
> I think that they just have a small range for their dhcp addresses,
> and they didn't think in terms of maximum number of users in the area.
> In any case, they need to push for reserve of the dhcp pool.

Some routers when they lease an IP to a device (thr' DHCP), they lease it
for 24 hours (default setting). Hence early in the morning, the first 254
people (xxx.xxx.xxx.2 to xxx.xxx.xxx.255) can connect easily while others
who shall come later during the day will have difficulty to get an IP
(since all slots have been leased).

The simple solution is to modify this parameter (via the admin of the
router) and enable only 1 hour lease for an IP. After 30 minutes, the
devices shall get a new IP in case they are still connected, or if they are
gone, IP slots can be freed.

Example (taken from Google search):

> > You could still have got a decent connection if you forced your device
> to a
> > static IP. Although that would be just a counter solution :-)
>
> The easiest way would be to have multiple pools of private addresses.

Static IP is a solution IMHO, but not everyone will be able to do this and
is not practical for the public.

Best regards,
Nadim Attari

image001.png