Re: Free wifi not working in bagatelle

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 10:51:09 +0000

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> I went to bagatelle, and noticed that it's impossible to get an IP
>> address, despite the fact that we have still have plenty of IP
>> addresses left in Africa :-)
>

> How come not getting an IP assigned within a free hotspot area has anything
> to do with IP addresses left in Africa?

It's a joke among network engineers in Africa :-)

>> It seems that the DHCP server, the piece of software that gives out IP
>> address automatically to devices, is out of IP addresses. I think that
>> they need to use bigger pool of private addresses to sustain more
>> clients.
>

> The issue needs to be investigated at the hotspot's router level. It might
> me keeping addresses in the MAC table for more than 24 hours or and thus
> running out of addresses when new devices request.

Are you talking about pre-mapping a list of MAC addresses to a list
of predefined IPs ? This happens in cases where you already know the
list of Mac addresses beforehand. In this particular case, it's not a
practical solution, and I don't think that they use this.

I think that they just have a small range for their dhcp addresses,
and they didn't think in terms of maximum number of users in the area.
In any case, they need to push for reserve of the dhcp pool.

> You could still have got a decent connection if you forced your device to a
> static IP. Although that would be just a counter solution :-)

The easiest way would be to have multiple pools of private addresses.

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.